Absolutely delicious, warm straight out of the oven. Why not make them more festive by using our apricot & ginger sausage meat, chestnut sausage meat or cranberry & apple sausage meat in replacement of our farmhouse sausage meat.
- Olive Oil
- 1 Red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 Sprig of fresh sage
- 1 Pack of Farmhouse Sausage Meat
- 1 Handful of Breadcrumbs
- Fresh nutmeg, for grating
- 250g of ready made puff pastry
- 1 Free-range egg
- A little milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/ Gas Mark 4. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook gently for about 20 minutes until soft and golden brown. Add the sage leaves, cook for a couple of minutes more and then spread out on a plate to cool.
- Put the sausage meat in a mixing bowl with the cooled sage & onion mix and the breadcrumbs. Add a good grating of nutmeg, then scrunch well with your clean hands to mix together.
- On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle as thick as a pound coin and cut it lengthways into two long, even rectangles. Roll the mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with the mixture, then fold one side of the pastry over, wrapping the filling inside. Press down with your fingers or the edge of a spoon to seal the join.
- Cut the long rolls into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray. Brush with the rest of the egg wash and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes until puffed, golden and cooked through.